1/11/11

SALSA VERDE

    I recently used my emergency canned salsa verde (you never know when might might need one).  When I can get good tomatillos and peppers, I make it from fresh.  These are the two recipes I use.

SALSA VERDE
1 pound (11 medium) fresh tomatillos, husked and washed
OR
    2 13 oz cans tomatillos, drained

2 fresh jalapenos, stemmed and seeded (any chiles will work, Hatch are my favorite)
6 stems Italian Parsley (you can use cilantro), rough chopped
1 small onion, chopped
2 large cloves garlic, peeled and rough chopped
1 Tbl oil
2 cups chicken broth
sea salt
cumin
epazote (a Mexican weed with a very distinct flavor)


Boil the FRESH tomatillos and jalapenos in water 15 minutes, until tender. Drain.
Put in the blender with the onion,parsley, and garlic. Blend until smooth.
Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Pour the mixture in the pan all at once and stir constantly for 5 minutes. It will become thicker and darker.  Add broth and turn heat down to low.  Simmer for 10 minutes.  Season with salt,cumin, and epazote to taste.  This should keep refrigerated for 7 - 10 days.

If using the canned tomatillos, skip the first step.  Quick fry the jalapenos and start blending.
For a more intense heat, use fresh peppers.

This recipe is adapted from Rick Bayless's recipe.

Just a side note : my computer doesn't know Spanish on the spellcheck, so it keeps telling me I not spelling correctly.

No comments:

Post a Comment